Saturday, July 11, 2015

Review: Cover Girl The Super Sizer Mascara by LashBlast

Well, color me surprised. I actually emphatically like a Cover Girl mascara.

Whether it's justified or not, I never really put Cover Girl in the bracket of impressive or daily go-to mascaras. Rather than being on the top level of my rotation, they're always kind of...there. I've tried many CG mascaras. Super Thick Lash mascara, along with LashBlast Fusion, and also that underwhelming "Flamed Out" stuff, are perfectly wonderful for more natural workday lashes—but in my opinion, only when you have time to painstakingly build up your mascara over a period of several minutes (which, thanks to Mother Nature for my sad, thin lashes, I do).

So that's mainly the category I've had CG mascaras in. But being the beauty obsessed cheapskate that I am, I couldn't resist trying the new Super Sizer mascara. (Side note: does anyone else ever worry about what the mascara names are going to be like in ten years? Seems like they've blown through a lot of pretty dramatic ones already. "Sky High Curves," anyone?)

Anyway, here's the packaging:



And here's the wand, which you're supposed to twirl while applying. As you can see, it's different from other LashBlast mascaras. Mind you, the bristles are still plastic but they're longer/more spaced out. This means it packs A LOT of product onto the lash line as soon as you first put it on, which makes it a great out-the-door mascara. I personally like packing a lot of product on at first stroke, but it's not for everyone.


As you can see, the brush is different from other CG mascaras in that it's sort of reverse-tapered, with longer spikes for the plastic bristles.

As for application, here are eyelashes with/without (please note how puny and sad my natural lashes are.):


Left eye, no mascara. Right eye, lots of mascara.
Now, I don't recommend this, but my 40 minute commute to work allows me the perfect intervals (read: bumper-to-bumper traffic, lots of red lights) for applying mascara in the car. I've actually given up doing it at home before getting in the car because I actually enjoy my ride to work more when I'm putting mascara on at the red lights. Is that sad or cool? Anyway.

Even though this mascara promises "400% corner-to-corner volume" I would actually put it more in the category of curling and lengthening. IF you already have somewhat voluminous lashes (which clearly I do not) then you'll likely love it no matter what.

The complete effect:

Hesitant facial expression not intended.

In short, this mascara:
  • Lengthens
  • Curls
  • Separates
  • Dries FAST, so best to apply coats quickly
  • Packs on a lot of product at first coat
  • Washes off semi-easily (I use Sephora Waterproof Eye Makeup Remover to take the residual bits off)
Also worth noting is you get .4 oz of product in this little guy, so it'll last a long time. (By comparison, L'Oreal Miss Manga is .27 oz.)

All in all, really loving it. Anyone else tried it/found success with it?

Thanks for reading!